This course will give the attendee a basic knowlege of voltage, current and resistance relationships as applied to relays, motor control circuits and other types of control circuits. It also covers troubleshooting and installation of lighting circuits including 3-way and 4-way switches. In addition, the course offers hands-on labs for students to participate. Included also in this class:
- Discussion of proper personal safety protection equipment for electrical maintenance and identify the treatment for electric shock and hand tools used for electrical maintenance and identify proper care of double and single insulated tools, extension cords and lights.
- Demonstration of the procedure for de-energizing, tagging and locking out power feeds and the procedure to close a tripped circuit breaker and replace a fuse and describe the operation of a ground fault interrupter.
- Demonstrate the use of a voltmeter, ammeter, clamp-on ammeter, ohmmeter and electric consumption meter and identify which test instrument to use to locate troubles
- Describe, sketch, wire and troubelshoot single-pole, 3-way and 4-way switch circuits
- Describe the basic electrical concepts of current, voltage resistance, electrical polarity, open, short and excessive resistance and current and define and apply Ohm's Law
- Demonstrate solving circuit problems and describe the basic relationships of voltage, current and resistance in a series, parallel and series-parallel circuits
- Description of the relationship of watts to amps and volts and apply the power and energy concepts to determine power consumption
- Identify color coded resistors, capacitors, diodes, simple relays and control transformers. Describe operating principles of a transformer and the affect varying load conditions
- Describe basic AC circuit principles
- Demonstrate bending EMT conduit to make a stub and back-to-back bend
More great Electrical training is available on Wednesday and
Thursday with the Electrical Troubleshooting for HVAC and
Electrical Schematics classes. Get a comprehensive Electrical
education by taking all three days of training!