How to Make Your Vacation Rental Appealing to Summer Guests
With over 4 million short-term vacation rentals competing for bookings on sites like HomeAway and Airbnb, catching the eye of a great guest can be tough. Keep your vacation rental top of mind this summer by making it look easy and breezy for vacationers to rent your space. Make a few summertime tweaks, update your listing and off you go!
Brighten Your Décor
You don’t have to completely redecorate, but making a few adjustments can quickly add a summer vacation feel to your Airbnb or HomeAway rental. Ditch the fuzzy blankets and dark, wintery colors. Then create an island vibe with greens, blues, oranges and yellows. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Add seasonal throw pillows and linens with vibrant colors. Liven it up even more with vacation-themed décor.
- Replace fuzzy winter rugs with summery sisal rugs.
- Turn your bathroom into a tropical paradise with a fresh shower curtain and coconut-scented soap.
- Fill a mason jar with water and pop in some beautiful blooms.
- Take down dark artwork and put up your most memorable vacation photos, maps of local attractions and cool travel art.
- Include some locally-sourced decorations in your space. This could be as easy as filling a small dish with shells or stones you’ve picked up on your own travels.
- Use keepsakes from your favorite trips to decorate the rooms, inspire your guests and spark conversation.
Play Up Summer Activities
Your guests aren’t just sleeping and showering at your rental property — they’ll be hanging out, having fun and ready to live it up like a local. Help them enjoy their stay even more by giving their summer adventures a jump start. Summertime essentials like these will make them hit that Book button!
- Outdoor dining and lounging area with great patio furniture
- Fire pit for friends and family to gather around
- Hammock or porch swing for afternoon relaxing
- Local guidebooks and magazines, plus a personal list of your favorite activities and restaurants
- Toys — bicycles, floats, kayaks, hiking poles or whatever the locals use to play
- Books and board games for rainy days
Showcase a Cool Air Conditioning Unit
There’s nothing worse than arriving at a beautiful vacation rental and discovering that it’s hot, humid and you can’t sleep at night. Make sure your guests’ environment is as comfortable as their own home — with the right air conditioning unit.
Before your summer rental season starts, change your air filters and get your air conditioning unit serviced. You should also consider investing in a regular maintenance agreement that includes spring and fall service, so you’ll be ready for guests year-round. It’s an affordable way to take a vacation from complaints and have peace of mind that your renters will be comfortable during their stay.
If you’re outfitting a new Airbnb rental or upgrading your HVAC unit, look into getting a ductless cooling and heating system. Ductless systems, like Trane single- and multi-zone ductless, are very popular for rentals and allow your guests to control their own temperature and comfort. And because ductless systems are a closed system with no ductwork, they’re more energy efficient and will help you save money on electric bills.
Spread the Word (and Pictures!)
Once you’ve turned your space into a vacation haven, be sure to take new photos and update your rental listing — even show off your awesome air conditioning! Don’t forget to update your property’s title and description to mention the updates you made for the summer travelers. It’s could be as simple as GREAT SUMMER GETAWAY. These words and images will paint the perfect picture, so potential guests can imagine themselves enjoying the ideal vacation week or weekend in your home-away-from-home.