Homeowner DIY maintenance
Follow these guidelines to get the most out of your heat pump and save on energy use.
- During the heating season, don’t set the thermostat below 65 degrees.
- In the cooling season, don’t set the thermostat below 70 degrees.
- Check the heat pump for snow or ice build up during the winter.
- Heat pumps should be elevated 4 to 8 inches above the ground to allow for proper drainage.
- Clean or change your filters once a month, or as needed.
- Clean outdoor coils whenever they appear dirty.
- Remove foliage from around the outdoor unit and keep shrubs at least 18 inches away from the heat pump on all sides.