1. A total-energy recovery device (such as an enthalpy wheel) transfers both sensible heat and water vapor (latent heat) between two airstreams.True
2. ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010 requires exhaust-air energy recovery on more systems that previous versions of the standard.True
3. In the airflow passing through the exhaust-side of the energy recovery device is less than the airflow passing through the supply-side of the device, will the device recover more or less energy than if the airflows were equal?a) More energy will be recovered with unequal airflows than with equal airflows
4. Which of the following are be advantages of using a coil runaround loop for exhaust-air energy recovery? Select all that apply.a) Highest effectiveness of all air-to-air energy recovery technologies
5. Which of the following impact the amount of air cross-leakage in a total-energy wheel application? Select all that apply.a) Location of the supply-side and exhaust-side fans (blow-thru vs. draw-thru) relative the wheel
6. Which of the following strategies can be used to maximize the energy saved when using exhaust-air energy recovery? Select all that apply.a) Select a device that balances high effectiveness with a low airside pressure drop
7. A total-energy wheel should be controlled to rotate whenever the supply fan is on.True
8. During cold weather, frosting can occur on the exhaust-air energy recovery device. On which side of the device does it occur?a) On the supply side, through which outdoor air enters the building
9. Sensible-energy recovery devices begin to experience frosting at higher ambient temperatures than total-energy recovery devices.True
10. AASHRAE Standard 62.1-2010 allows toilet exhaust to be routed through the exhaust-side of an air-to-air heat exchanger as long as the amount of cross-leakage does not exceed a defined threshold.True
Many of the courses listed are approved by United States Green Building Council (USGBC) for LEED credentialing maintenance. LEED-specific courses can be applied toward BD+C, O+M and C+S categories.
These courses may also qualify for state-licensed professional continuing education. Please check with your local state board.