TRACE™ 700 and LEED®
As the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) rating system evolves, achieving LEED certification continues to require the most current tools to help maximize credit points. TRACE 700 is continuously being updated to reflect the most recent changes in energy standards, and it meets the requirements for simulation software set by ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2004/2007 and the LEED Green Building Rating System. The software is supported by the TRACE C.D.S. team, the majority of whom are LEED APs.
Specifically, TRACE 700 can help document compliance with ASHRAE Standard 90.1 or validate the building’s eligibility for LEED certification. TRACE 700 provides multiple features to help model the Performance Rating Method:
- LEED Guide (view demo)
- Baseline Building Creator
- Rotate building automatically
- Reset hot-water-leaving temperatures
- ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2004 and 2007 compliant equipment library
- Automatically resize fans
- Simulate daylighting
- Estimate cooling coil condensate
- Calculate ASHRAE 62.1 with DCV based on CO2
- Reset supply-air temperatures
- Model extensive air-to-air energy recovery options
- Detailed output reports for LEED submission
- Packaged energy rate break-out
Version 6.3 of TRACE 700 introduced exciting new features that simplify modeling for LEED certification: the LEED Guide, the Baseline Building Creator, and a complete set of ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007 construction types and systems.
The new LEED Guide simplifies the process of modeling for LEED version 3. It consists of a series of helpful screens that highlight specific ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007 requirements that are relevant to the current TRACE 700 screen. It also provides convenient access to Table G3.1 from Appendix G of 90.1 and detailed Help.
Another advanced feature, the Baseline Building Creator, saves time and improves accuracy by automating the creation of the baseline building. Using information from the proposed alternative, it creates the baseline building according to ASHRAE Standard 90.1 requirements. With a click of a button, the Baseline Building Creator:
- populates construction inputs with 90.1 minimally compliant windows, walls, roofs, slabs and doors,
- reduces proposed windows to 40 percent of the wall area (if applicable) while maintaining the wall-to-window proportion,
- reduces proposed skylights to 5 percent of the gross roof area (if applicable) while maintaining the skylight-to-roof proportion, and
- ensures room-by-room outside air compliance between the proposed and the baseline alternatives.
As part of this update, TRACE 700 also includes a complete set of ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007 construction types and systems.
To see the new LEED Guide and Baseline Building Creator in action, check out this short tutorial.
TRACE 700 helps to achieve Energy and Atmosphere prerequisite 2 and gain credit points under Energy and Atmosphere credit 1, but there are other credit points TRACE 700 can help attain. Four additional credits lend themselves to the modeling capabilities of TRACE 700.
- Water Efficiency credit 3
The Equipment Energy Consumption report shows the amount of make-up water associated with the cooling coil condensate. This information may be helpful in achieving this credit.
- Energy and Atmosphere credit 5, option D: Measurement & Verification.
The model used for EAc1 can be used towards achieving this credit. Reference the “International Performance Measurement & Verification Protocol: Concepts and Options for Determining Energy Savings in New Construction Volume III” for detailed information on how to appropriately adjust the model from EAc1 to be used for this credit.
- Energy and Atmosphere credit 6: Green Power
The model used for EAc1 can identify the baseline to achieve Green Power credits.
- Environmental Quality credit 8: Daylighting & Views Credits are awarded when a specified level of daylighting is achieved. When users create daylighting definitions within TRACE, the program generates a special report showing the foot-candles of daylight present in the spaces with daylighting controls.